Pipistrelle’s first two outings of the season took us 30 nm ENE from Fehmarn to Gedser in Denmark where we anchored in more or less the same spot as we did last September. A leisurely day, we motored all the way in warm sunshine and had a quiet night before setting off early next morning in a fresh breeze. The next destination was Klintholm on the Danish island of Møn which has now become something of a favourite, because we spent some time here on two occasions in 2018.
This 35nm run was mostly under sail, with the wind picking up nicely to a NE 18kn off Klintholm marina. Main and genoa safely down and furled, warps and fenders at the ready, we found a berth alongside. Judging by the weather forecast we would be in the marina until the following Tuesday, so five nights in total before we could head towards Rügen, our next destination.
Having paid our dues, we sought out the local well stocked but small supermarket we remembered from last year, only to discover the building had gone. Apparently, a fire had destroyed it in late September and it wouldn’t be replaced. Instead a minimarket has opened for buying essentials.
Inevitably after launch there was still a long ‘to-do’ list of tasks below decks, and the variety of lashing rain, cool temperatures and strong winds played in our favour. Greenpeace ‘Beluga’ paid a long visit to the marina; fog was a feature after a fairly warm day, as was the appearance of a periscope and conning tower just off the entrance one evening! Interest was high, cameras came out and the craft came into the marina, revealing itself as a small submarine escorted by ribs, part of the Greenpeace entourage. A heron was standing by too!
The public bus service from Klintholm is excellent. This time, we decided to visit Stege, about 15 km away, on the Saturday afternoon and have a look round as it’s the main town on the island. Dating back to the 12th century, it was an important herring port with town gates and of course a church. The herring trade has long since died off, a sugar factory in operation for 100 years till the 80’s has closed and these days Stege relies heavily on tourism.
Pleased we had made the effort to go, we caught the bus back, looked again at the weather and it still appeared that Tuesday was the day to slip the lines. However, on Sunday morning, all had changed and the window had moved to sailing that day, or being stuck for days, a risk we could not afford to take. So we made the snap decision to go, and within an hour we were ready, forfeiting 2 days in the marina but also the opportunity to meet Andreas and Susanne again on Ma Brummi, who were we thought leaving Fehmarn that morning. As they say ‘Time and tide wait for no man’.
Sad though it was not to see our friends, the decision was good. We had a great sail under genoa, arriving in Rügen early evening. Looking at the forecast for the next few days, we would have been in Klintholm until Thursday earliest, cutting it all a bit fine to join the CA (Cruising Association) Rügen Rally we had signed up for.